This day with God, we are to be intentional about growing, about what we feed our soul, and doing what’s most important. When we ask for God’s help to fulfill our purpose, there is a ripple effect that gets bigger and bigger. What we pass on keeps the ripple effect going for many years.
Such is the traditional feasts observed by the Israelites and written about in Leviticus 23 as they were passed down from generation to generation. This tradition has carried over to current times as we observe the Sabbath as a day of rest and the celebration of God’s goodness.
Below are the offerings and activities involved in the annual feasts observed by the Israelites:
- The Passover – On the 15th of January is a food offering of Unleavened Bread
- The First Fruits – Held after the first grain harvested with a grain offering and lamb
- The Festival of Weeks – Held at Pentecost with a grain offering and burnt offering of lambs, bull, ram, and a goat
- The Festival of Trumpets – On July 1st is a day of prayer, meditation, and confession were the people assemble, there is trumpet blast, and food offerings
- Day of Atonement – July 10 is food offering and fasting
- Festival of Tabernacles – July 15 for 7 days. After gathering crops, it was a day of feasting, rejoicing, and giving thanks to God for His bountiful gifts much like our Thanksgiving Day
The Israelites celebrated these feasts with an attitude of honor. There is a purpose for the feasts and offerings in Old Testament times. Today, these traditions teach us that we should not just learn about theses traditions in His Word or at church but also apply the lessons learned in our own life and share with others so we are a part of the harvest.
Months are divided into weeks and weeks into days. Days are divided into hours and hours into seconds. Each second is precious and how we spend each second is important. Use each one to glorify God. Then like a ripple effect that gets bigger and bigger, we make a big impact in the world in which we live.
Like the dawn of a new day, celebrate God’s care of you by beginning every day or every business dealing with prayer. Use it as a time to refocus, to be honest about where you have been, and where you are going. Wake up to a bigger dream this day and have the certainty of God’s presence to help you grow into all that He wants you to be.
Lord, this day with You will be amazing because You believe in us. You love us so much that You sent Your Son as the ultimate sacrifice for our sin. Today, we can accomplish more than we ever thought because we are refocused and intentional about growing spiritually as we feed our soul. Help us today to fulfill the purpose You have for us. In Jesus name … Amen.